Via Bob Hertzel at the Times West Virginian. The genius just never stops pouring out of Marion County!
The following is Reason 23 on his list, but it deserves its own column, which is why I'm reprinting it here as a post. If I get ambitious, I'll post links. (Don't count on it.)
• Basketball coach John Beilein says goodbye to Rodriguez as he leaves for Michigan: “Someday, We’ll Be Together” (The Supremes)
• The rumors begin: “I Heard It On The Grapevine” (Marvin Gaye)
• The rumors get louder: “What’s Going On?” (Marvin Gaye)
• Rodriguez gets an offer, then talks to WVU officials: “Shop Around” (The Miracles)
• West Virginia asks Rodriguez not to leave: “Stop In The Name of Love” (The Supremes)
• Rodriguez thinks the offer over as Michigan awaits an answer: “You Keep Me Hanging On” (Diana Ross)
• Athletic director Ed Pastilong learns Rodriguez has decided to go to Michigan: “Don’t Leave Me This Way” (Thelma Houston)
• Rodriguez tells Michigan he accepts their offer: “Let’s Get It On” (Marvin Gaye)
• Michigan says fine, but you have to beat Ohio State: “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (Diana Ross)
• Ed Pastilong laments: “Where Did Our Love Go?” (The Supremes)
• Rodriguez flies to Michigan: “End of the Line” (Boyz II Men)
• And then the final chapter, Rodriguez loses to Ohio State and has to catch “The Midnight Train to Georgia” (Gladys Knight and the Pips)
I'm adding my own postscript: WVU finally realizes that they deserve better than that: "I Will Survive" (Gloria Gaynor).
Hey, what would a post about football and Motown be without that last one? ;-)